TextBook is primarily a theme for schools, colleges, and other non-profit organizations focused on education, but it can be adapted for almost any kind of site. It’s great for distributing and organizing information in a clear way.
TextBook is designed to look great on any kind of device — from mobile phones to desktop computers.
TextBook includes a Custom Menu in the header, which can be configured by going to Customize → Menus. Pro tip: Use the menu item description to provide additional details about the links in your menu.
TextBook displays a social links menu that uses icons in both the header and footer to connect your readers to your social media profiles, like Twitter and Facebook.
Set Up a Social Links Menu
- Create a new Custom Menu, and assign it to the Social Links Menu location.
- Add links to each of your social media services using the Links panel.
- Icons for your social links will automatically appear in the footer.
Linking to any of the following sites will automatically display its icon in your menu.
- Email (
- RSS Feed (urls with
TextBook comes with two widget areas. The right sidebar widget area lives on the right side of all posts, pages, and archives. Then, there’s the footer widget area that also appears on all posts, pages, and archives however, it displays widgets horizontally, from left to right. Both widget areas will only be displayed when you place widgets in them, so if you want to hide a widget area, simply remove its widgets.
Include a site logo by going to Customize → Site Identity and uploading a logo image in the space provided. The logo will appear next to your site title in the header. It can be any size or orientation but will display at a maximum height of 100 px.
Custom Header Image
You can also add a Custom Header Image to give TextBook a much more personalized look and feel. Navigate to Customize → Header Image to upload your own custom header image.
The Featured Content area in TextBook is displayed above testimonials and posts on the home page.
To set up the Featured Content area:
- Navigate to Customize → Featured Content.
- Enter the name of a tag.
- Click the blue “Save” button at the bottom.
- Create at least 3 posts (or pages) and assign the tag you declared under Customize → Featured Content.
- To change the name of the Featured Content Title & Description, navigate to Customize → Theme Options.
- You can also select a Featured Page to display above the Featured posts area at the Customize → Theme Options panel.
TextBook has a special date format that is set by default when you activate the theme, but you can also change the format by navigating to Settings → General → Date Format from /wp-admin. To set it back to the default, enter
j M Y into the custom format field.
TextBook has six built-in color schemes to choose from and with the Custom Design upgrade, you can change the main colors to match you the color scheme of your school, company, or personal brand.
Quick Specs (all measurements in pixels):
- The main column width is
- Featured Images for posts and pages are
830wide with no restrictions on height.
- Custom header should be at least