Add a touch of sophistication and style to your blog with Elemin, a charming theme with a minimal design and elegant typography. Elemin’s simplicity makes it a great fit for many types of blogs — journals, lifestreams, photoblogs, and more.
Site Layout Options
Choose to place your primary sidebar either to the left or to the right of the main content. Or, add no widgets and enjoy a full-width layout.
Right sidebar layout
Left sidebar layout
Full-width, no sidebar layout
Post Layout Options
With Elemin, you can display your front page posts in either a one- or two-column configuration.
Two post columns with sidebar
Two post columns with no sidebar
Elemin lets you choose from nine color schemes, in two variations. You can choose to go light and delicate with white (default), blue, green, pink, and yellow. Or go bold and borderless with black, gray, orange, and bright yellow. Set the color scheme in Appearance → Theme Options.
Custom Link Color
After you’ve settled on a color scheme, you can tweak the primary link color right from Appearance → Theme Options to suit your liking.
Let your visitors see at a glance the type of post you’ve written using Post Formats. Elemin gives each post format a unique icon that appears beside each post’s title.
Custom Menus and Footer Widget Areas
Elemin comes with two Custom Menu areas (one in the header and the other in the footer). You can create and assign menus for these areas by going to Customize → Menus. The footer menu area will only show top level navigation items.
In addition to the primary sidebar, Elemin features three widget areas in the footer. These widget areas will appear when you add widgets to them.
Custom Header and Custom Background
Put the finishing touches on your blog with your own Custom Header and Custom Background.
Quick Specs (all measurements in pixels):
- Left- or right-sidebar layout, single-column post configuration: The main content is
550 and the sidebar is
- Left- or right-sidebar layout, two-column post configuration: Each individual post column is
343 and the sidebar is
- Full-width and attachment pages: The main content is
- No-sidebar layout, two-column post configuration: Each individual post column is
- Header image is
990 in width and
150 in height.
Setting up the site layout in Elemin
Elemin provides you with three layout options:
- Full Width, No Sidebar
Here’s how to activate each layout:
- Content-Sidebar: From Appearance → Theme Options in WP Admin (yoursite.wordpress.com/wp-admin/themes.php?page=theme_options), choose the Sidebar-Content layout option. Then go to Customize → Widgets and drag widgets to the sidebar called “Sidebar 1”. View your site — the sidebar should be on the right and the main post content on the left.
- Sidebar-Content: From Appearance → Theme Options in WP Admin (yoursite.wordpress.com/wp-admin/themes.php?page=theme_options), choose the Content-Sidebar layout option. Then go to Customize → Widgets and drag widgets to the sidebar called “Sidebar 1”. View your site — the sidebar should be on the left with the main content on the right.
- Full Width, No Sidebar: Simply remove all widgets from Sidebar 1 in Customize → Widgets.
Front Page Post Layout Options
For the front page, you can display your posts in either a standard list format or in two columns. Set your preferred configuration under Appearance → Theme Options in WP Admin (yoursite.wordpress.com/wp-admin/themes.php?page=theme_options), where it asks: “How would you like to display posts on the front page?”.
Color Schemes and Custom Link Colors
Choose from one of nine color schemes in Appearance → Theme Options in WP Admin (yoursite.wordpress.com/wp-admin/themes.php?page=theme_options). Right underneath the color scheme options you’ll see a color picker which allows you to (optionally) select a color to use for the main links on your site. To use the color picker, click on “Select a color”, and click around inside the color wheel that pops up until you find a color you like. Then click “Save options” and reload your site to see your colors in action.
If you want to remove your custom link color, return to the color options and find where it says “The default link color for this color scheme is…” and click on the hexadecimal color name (it’ll be something like “#000000”). Then click “Save Options”.
Setting up your custom menus
By default the Elemin theme displays one custom menu in your header. There is also an optional footer menu.
Find out more about working with custom menus on the WordPress.com Custom Menu documentation page.
Post Thumbnails (Featured Images)
If you add a featured image to a post with the “Audio” post format, it’ll appear as a small 100 x 100 pixel thnumbnail just above the audio player in your posts (Note: you need the Space Upgrade in order to upload audio files).
Elemin also supports post thumbnails of 150 x 150 pixels.
Custom Header and Custom Background
You can add your own custom header image and background by going to Customize → Colors & Backgrounds and Customize → Header Image, respectively.