To make it easy for your visitors to connect with you through your social networking sites, Academica offers a social icon bar for your Facebook, Flickr, Twitter, LinkedIn and YouTube profiles. The following steps are completed in the WP Admin dashboard (to access it, add /wp-admin to the end of your site’s url, e.g.: example.wordpress.com/wp-admin).
- Head to Appearance > Theme Options.
- Fill in your relevant social media links.
- All links left blank will not show.
Post Slider – Feature your Content
Special posts deserve a special place. With Academica, every post assigned with a certain tag and given a featured image will be displayed in the Featured Content Slider on the home page of your site. To enable the slider:
- Navigate to Customize → Featured Content.
- Enter the name of a tag.
- Click on Save & Publish.
Once you’ve saved your changes, posts marked with this tag will appear in the featured content slider if they have a featured image. The suggested size for featured images is 960 pixels wide and 300 pixels high.
No header image is set in the live demo, instead some posts have featured images and a tag that make them appear in a slider only on the home page.
Post Layouts are unique to Academica! Like page templates, they let you choose the perfect layout for each individual post. Your options are: Standard (three columns), Left Sidebar (two columns, only one sidebar) or Full Width (one column, no sidebar). Give each post the look it deserves!
Academica is all about your pages! In addition to page-only widget areas, it comes with three choices of page templates: Sidebar Left, Sidebar Right and Full Width, for even more individuality and flexibility.
Academica supports two custom menu locations, one in the header and one in the footer. The header menu serves as the primary navigation and falls back to display your pages if no custom menu is set for this location. The footer menu is ideal for displaying a secondary navigation, since it only supports one menu level.
Academica has nine widget areas available:
- Sidebar: Left: All widgets placed in this sidebar will appear on the left hand side of your single posts and your static posts page.
- Sidebar: Right: All widgets placed in this sidebar will appear on the right hand side of your single posts and your static posts page.
- Sidebar: Homepage (Left): Widgets placed here will appear on the left side on the home page.
- Sidebar: Homepage (Right): Widgets placed here will appear on the right side on the home page.
- Sidebar: Homepage (Middle): Widgets placed here will appear below the main content on the home page.
- Sidebar: Archives: These widgets will appear on all search pages and date, author, tag, and category archive pages.
- Sidebar: Pages (Left): All widgets placed in this sidebar will be shown on the left hand side of your single pages.
- Sidebar: Pages (Right): All widgets placed in this sidebar will be shown on the right hand side of your single pages.
- Sidebar: Footer: This is the right hand side footer area. These widgets will appear on the lower right corner on all pages.
Quick Specs (all measurements in pixels)
- The main column width is
500except in the two-column layout where it’s
730and in the full-width layout where it’s
- The suggested header image dimensions are
300(width, height). However, the height is flexible so you can upload a smaller cropped image if you wish.
- Featured images in the sticky posts slider are also
300, but are fixed in height and width.
- All other featured images are
80in height. These images are displayed on posts on the home page, on archive pages, and on the search results page.